1836 Heritage Log Cabin
"Oldest in the Calumet Area"
It was in
1979 that the real log cabin was discovered under
two layers of siding, on River Oaks Drive. It was
soon to be torn down to build a mini-mall.
all the incentive needed to get the members of the
Society interested. The cabin owner, Mrs. Evelyn
Jackson, grand-daughter of Peter Nicolaus Schrum,
donated the building to the Society. It was
dismantled, logs and boards numbered, and stored in
the city garage for one and a half years.
Eventually, the Park District donated a section of
Veteran's Park to the Society and work began to
rebuild the cabin, with the help of many interested
members and friends who donated many hours of their
time. The project was finished with the generous
contributions of local businesses and individuals.
cabin stands surrounded by trees, nestled on the
banks of the Little Calumet River, one half block
west of Burnham Avenue just off Heritage Drive,
Schrum, a widower and his son, Peter Nicholas Schurm
applied for papers sailing from Hamburg, Germany to
America in 1860. Peter Nicolaus had a wife and
child. Their departure was delayed on account of
the Civil War in the United States. They were
farmers and came to America to find work. They came
to Chicago where Thomas Agge bought land from Owen
McFarland and came to live in Globe, IL.
There is no
record if the log cabin, which was the first part of
their home, was there originally or if the Schrum
family built it. According to Wilburt Hasbrouck, a
well-known preservationist-architect that the
Calumet City Historical Society contacted,
estimated that the lower part of the cabin was built
in the 1830's and judging from the saw marks, the
upper portion of the cabin was built in the 1860's.
The lower part was used as a kitchen-living room and
the upper part for sleeping. The upper room was
reached by a ladder. Later on additions were added
as the family grew. One of the additions on the
west side was for bedrooms and another on the north
was a large front room.
Peter Nicoulaus's sons, Thomas Henry, tore the old
home down in 1929, saving the original log cabin and
had it moved to the east of his home, where it
remained until it came to the attention of the
Calumet Historical Society.